Find application forms to volunteer at Henrico Doctors' Hospital as well as instructions on how to complete and submit them to our hospital.
The safety and wellbeing of all of our patients, staff, and community are extremely important to us. We are excited to announce over the next several weeks, we will welcome back volunteers to the HDH campuses in non-patient-facing roles. While we are excited to welcome volunteers back to our facilities, we are doing so as safely as possible by adhering to the most recent guidance provided by our Infection Prevention team, the CDC, and applicable state regulations.
For more information on volunteering at any of our campuses, please review the volunteer program information below.
Volunteering at HCA Virginia
Have you ever considered volunteering your time to help others? Our volunteers play an integral role in the healthcare services we provide to our patients and the community.
HCA Virginia consists of three community hospitals – Henrico (Forest), Parham and Retreat Doctors’ Hospitals – and two freestanding emergency departments, West Creek Emergency Center and Hanover Emergency Center. Volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team and make a lasting difference in our patients' experiences. Our volunteers have a rich history of providing exceptional services and support to our patients, hospital and community. Here are a few examples of volunteer opportunities offered at our campuses:
Information desks & waiting rooms:
- Information desks – Welcome and greet visitors as they arrive to Henrico Doctors’ campuses, assist with escorting visitors and patients, provide wheelchair transport for discharges as needed, provide general information about the facility, provide patient room information for visitors, and assist with patient deliveries
- Surgery waiting room – Serve as a liaison between family members and hospital staff for patients in surgery; check in patients as they arrive and provide appropriate forms; establish a pleasant, caring atmosphere for family and visitors; provide visitors with information on the facility.
- ICU waiting room – Serve as a liaison between family members, hospital staff and patients who are in ICU; establish a pleasant, caring atmosphere for family and visitors; provide visitors with information on the facility; assist waiting family members.
Nursing unit areas
- Acute care hospital & nursing units – Assist nursing staff with discharges, clerical duties, providing patients with nourishments, patient comfort rounding, stocking supplies, and other duties as assigned.
- Medical Care Unit (2 South)
- Mother Baby Unit
- OB/GYN Specialty Care Unit (4 West)
- Labor & Delivery
- Cardiac ICU and Surgical ICU
- NICU cuddler
- Emergency department – Assist nursing staff with turning over rooms, stocking supplies, patient comfort rounding, discharges, and other duties as assigned. ED Volunteers must be able to work independently with little or no direction in busy atmosphere.
- Patient services – Serves as a liaison between Food & Nutrition Services and nursing units to deliver requested nourishments, visit patients to deliver menus and other items to units, and collect trays when needed.
- Clerical support – Provide clerical assistance to assigned departments. Duties may include filing, copying, answering phones, supporting department projects, and basic computer entry. See Volunteer Services for a list of departments needing clerical support.
- Mammography/breast center – Females Only – Greet patients to help with check-in process, maintain clean dressing rooms and waiting rooms, act as a liaison between staff and patients, clerical work and other duties as assigned.
- Concierge services – Deliver flowers, mail, or newspapers as they come in. Be able to greet patients and visitors as you enter rooms and help provide any information about the hospital
The volunteer requirements are as follows:
- Accept applications for adult volunteers year round.
- Henrico Doctors’ asks for a minimum commitment of one year of service at four hours per week for Adult Volunteers.
- Junior Volunteers: Accept applications for high school students during the open application period in late spring (March 30 – May 1) for the Summer Junior Volunteer Program, which is from June through August. Teens may have the option of continuing through the school year.
- All volunteers must provide documentation of required immunizations prior to their first day of volunteering. Immunizations must be listed on an official immunization record and/or documented by a licensed healthcare professional. If no record(s) exist, antibody titer testing, a blood draw used to measure immunity, can be performed at your physician’s office, or at OHS with manager approval.
- All volunteers are required to pass a background check.
- All volunteers must attend volunteer orientation or complete the modules and test online.
- Volunteers are subject to annual education requirements and must practice and follow all confidentiality and facility policies and procedures
Volunteer application process
Volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team. Whether you are volunteering to give back to your community, to explore healthcare careers, or to utilize your skills in a new environment, you will be enriched by the difference you make and the lives you touch. Your role as a volunteer will help to support and enhance the exceptional care given by our professionals. We are looking for the best volunteers around; however, we do not consider short-term volunteer request, court mandated, and/or community service hours. We want our volunteers to enjoy their time at our campus; therefore, require at least 100 hours per year or a six-month commitment.
Take a few moments to review our various volunteer programs detailed on the HCA Virginia volunteer website. Once your application is received, Volunteer Services staff will contact you to set up an interview. All applicants must then complete required health and safety screenings.
Adult Volunteer Application Form
Junior Volunteer Application Form
For more information on volunteering at any of our campuses, please email the volunteer office.