Gastroenterologists in Richmond, Virginia
From hernias to digestive tract issues, we are here to help.
Rated one of the nation's top 100 hospitals for gastrointestinal (GI) surgery by Healthgrades, Henrico Doctors' Hospital's specialty is GI health. Whether treating Crohn's disease, cancer or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), we help you feel like your best self.
Learn more about our related specialties.
Gastrointestinal conditions we treat
Our GI specialists practice treatments for many common, chronic and acute conditions, including:
- Acid reflux
- Crohn's disease
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative colitis
Digestive health services we provide
From advanced care for heartburn to gallbladder surgeries, our gastroenterology services cater to your individual health needs.
Hernia Center and hernia treatments
The Hernia Center at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital specializes in all types of hernia treatment. Our hernia surgeons use the most advanced, minimally invasive surgical technology available.
A hernia is a hole or abnormality anywhere in the abdominal muscle wall. When the muscle wall is weak or subject to strain, it may cause tissue to protrude and cause a visible bulge.
Common types of hernias include:
- Epigastric hernia — occurs midway between the umbilicus and chest
- Femoral hernia — occurs in the low groin
- Hiatal hernia — occurs in the diaphragm, the large muscle separating the chest cavity and the abdomen
- Incisional hernia — occurs near scar tissue from a previous surgery
- Inguinal hernia — occurs in the groin area and is the most common type of hernia
- Umbilical — occurs through the belly button
- Ventral hernia — occurs outside the inguinal areas of the abdomen and are less common than inguinal hernias
Depending on your diagnosis and history, our expert surgeons will determine which procedure will best reduce the risk of hernia recurrence. Options may include an abdominal wall reconstruction, inguinal and femoral hernia repair or ventral hernia repair.
Heartburn and Reflux Center of Richmond
For more than 20 years, our surgeons and gastrointestinal specialists have helped thousands of patients live more comfortable lives through a variety of techniques, including minimally invasive laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery.
New patient information
We are proud to provide patient-centered gastroenterology care for a variety of conditions, as well as advanced care for heartburn, acid reflux and GERD through the Heartburn and Reflux Center of Richmond. If you have heartburn, GERD, or take medication for those conditions, you can fill out the GERD patient form to be contacted directly by our heartburn nurse navigator who can offer additional information and support.
Robotic hernia surgery
Looking for a Location?
Our Gastroenterology Locations