Neurological rehabilitation is used to treat diseases, disorders or injuries related to the nervous system. Depending on the severity of the condition, neurological rehabilitation can be done on an inpatient or outpatient basis and is designed to improve brain function and independence.
Neurorehabilitation services in Richmond, Virginia
Our neurorehabilitation team helps you reclaim independence.
A neurological event or injury can leave you dependent on others for things you used to do on your own. Neurological rehabilitation (neurorehab) therapy at Parham Doctors’ Hospital, a campus of Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, can help you recover.
Learn more about our related specialties.
Neurological conditions we treat
Our neurological rehabilitation services help patients who are recovering from or experiencing conditions such as:
- Brain injuries
- Brain tumors
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Lou Gehrig's disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson's disease
- Spinal cord injuries
- Spinal stenosis
Our neurorehabilitation services
At our neurorehabilitation clinic, experts from all areas of neurology and rehab work together to customize a care plan that meets your specific needs.
Brain injury rehab
As you experience or recover from a neurological condition, the challenges you face may be vastly different from another patient who experienced a similar issue. We tailor your care plan so that you participate in the therapies that will benefit you most.
Our staff is skilled to provide care in a wide range of areas, including:
- Basic self-care tasks
- Bowel and bladder management
- General strength, endurance and coordination
- Mobility skills, either with walking or wheelchair use
- Moving from one surface to another (such as going from a bed to a wheelchair, wheelchair to toilet or chair to standing)
- Problem solving, memory and other basic cognitive skills
- Safety awareness
- Speech communication or learning to use a speech alternative, such as sign language or speech-generating devices
- Swallowing techniques and the ability to eat safely
- Transition to home or to the next level of care
Spinal cord injury rehabilitation
Spinal cord rehabilitation is a critical part of improving mobility and independence after an injury. We have experience with advanced therapies and can treat a full range of spinal cord injuries, including:
- Congenital abnormalities, such as spina bifida or cerebral palsy
- Recovery from spinal surgeries, like laminectomies, tumor removals and later effects of spinal cord injuries
- Spinal cord conditions, including spinal muscle atrophy, quadriplegia, paraplegia and spondylosis/stenosis
- Spinal viruses, such as traverse myelitis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, encephalitis and polio
Advanced treatment for speech disorders
Our speech therapy treatment program has shown positive results in patients who have Parkinson's disease and other neurological conditions. We customize this treatment to your unique communication goals and can help you improve:
- Articulation and speech clarity
- Facial expression
- Intonation (the voice's pitch when speaking)
- Neurological functioning related to voice and speech
- Voice volume
Our LSVT Loud Program
We are proud to offer the LSVT Loud Program to help patients with Parkinson's Disease control their vocal volume. Delivered by specially trained speech pathologists, the program has proven effective when combined with patient effort and rehab team follow-up.
Looking for a location?
Our Neurological rehabilitation Locations