You don't have to be a healthcare professional to make a difference. Join LewisGale Medical Center's volunteer team and be a hospital hero.
Volunteering at LewisGale Medical Center
Volunteers help us do more of what we do best — provide high-quality and compassionate healthcare services to members of our community.
Ready to help out? We’re always looking for gracious and cooperative spirits who have a sincere desire to help others and can maintain total patient confidentiality. When you volunteer with us, you will join our staff of friendly folks who are adaptable, flexible and completely dependable. You can begin serving as a junior volunteer once you reach age 14.
You may be just the right person to:
- Aid nursing staff — assisting in patient discharge, filling water pitchers, visiting with patients and family members or carrying out errands
- Help visitors — providing community information and serving beverages and cookies to families in waiting areas
- Make patient deliveries — including flowers, postal mail and printouts of email messages
- Manage the information desk — transferring incoming calls to patient rooms or providing directions to visitors and patients
- Serve as clerical support — offering administrative and general assistance in non-patient departments
Volunteer services are needed Monday through Friday. Available shifts include:
- 8:00am to 12:00pm
- 12:00pm to 4:00pm
- 4:00pm to 7:30pm
Become a volunteer
Apply to become an adult volunteer by downloading and filling out a volunteer application. You can also contact our volunteer office to fill out an application and schedule a formal interview with the volunteer services manager. New volunteers participate in an orientation session and on-the-job training with one of our valued veteran volunteers.
Once your application is received and processed, an interview will be scheduled. During your interview, your application will be reviewed and volunteer opportunities and schedules will be discussed. Volunteers are matched as best as possible to their interests, skills and times available.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 100 hours and must work at least four hours per week. All volunteers are required to have a background check, two TB tests (which are provided by LewisGale Medical Center) and to participate in a volunteer orientation.