Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Rehabilitation refers to the process of helping a patient recover from a serious injury or illness. Patients often have to regain strength and learn new ways of completing normal, daily activities. Physical therapy, a branch of rehabilitation, focuses on building strength and mobility after disease, injury or surgery.
Physical rehabilitation center in Salem, Virginia
When you need rehabilitative care, we're here to help.
The dedicated specialists at LewisGale Medical Center offer physical rehabilitation when you need it most. If you are recovering from an injury, illness or surgery, our team delivers rehabilitative care in a compassionate environment that supports proper healing.
Learn more about our related specialties.
Our physical therapy services
In addition to inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, we offer cardiac rehabilitation, neurological rehabilitation, as well as speech and language therapy.
Our physical therapy programs
Our certified physical therapists offer dynamic, customized, one-on-one, adult and pediatric evaluation, training, rehabilitation, physical therapy and performance enhancement programs. Our physical therapy services include:
- Cardiac rehabilitation — focuses on education, risk reduction and exercises to treat coronary artery disease, heart failure and other chronic heart diseases
- Lymphedema therapy — uses certified programs and medical assistive devices to help restore function, reduce pain and reduce risk of infection
- Neurological rehab — aims to restore activity and independence following neurological disorders or stroke
- Includes a neurologic and low-vision therapy-based program to treat vision-related problems stemming from neurological conditions
- Occupational therapy (OT) — helps facilitate daily activities, such as bathing, dressing, eating and home management
- Pelvic rehabilitation — improves bladder control through means such as electrical stimulation, exercise and education
- Physical therapy (PT) — used to protect, strengthen or restore muscle and motor functions
- Pulmonary rehabilitation — provides education and therapy to improve diminished lung function as a result of pulmonary and respiratory conditions
- Speech/language therapy — treats and helps prevent disorders related to speech, language, cognitive communication and voice
- Swallowing therapy — helps manage difficulty or discomfort in swallowing due to dysphagia
- Vestibular therapy — aims to decrease or eliminate symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo or imbalance as a result of vestibular system disorders
Inpatient rehabilitation services
Our physical therapists offer 24-hour inpatient therapeutic care for if you need intense, acute therapy and nursing care. The hospital setting of our program guarantees convenient access to our full range of services, should your condition require multidisciplinary care.
Inpatient rehabilitation is often part of a treatment plan if you are recovering from conditions or injuries such as amputation, brain or spinal cord injuries, stroke, cancer, orthopedic surgery and multiple sclerosis.
Inpatient rehabilitation often results in faster recoveries than outpatient care, meaning you can return home sooner and get back to doing what you love.
Easy Street rehabilitation program
We are proud to offer Easy Street, the only real-world rehabilitation environment in Southwest Virginia. Easy Street allows you to practice everyday scenarios if you are recovering from a brain injury, stroke, neurological condition or orthopedic injury.
Our simulation room allows you to experience normal daily activities, such as shopping for groceries, walking up steps and using an ATM, in a safe and supervised setting. This is one of the many ways our inpatient therapy team helps you transition back into the real world.
Outpatient rehabilitation services
If your condition does not require inpatient evaluation, we also offer outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation services in our clinic located right across the street from our hospital. Our outpatient services include:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy, including hand therapy
- Speech therapy
Outpatient therapy locations and appointments
For outpatient rehabilitation, visit 1802 Braeburn Drive in Salem, Virginia. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 4:30pm. We take physician referrals, and you can also book an appointment directly by calling (540) 776-3700.