Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Rehabilitation refers to the process of helping a patient recover from a serious injury or illness. Patients often have to regain strength and learn new ways of completing normal, daily activities. Physical therapy, a branch of rehabilitation, focuses on building strength and mobility after disease, injury or surgery.
Physical rehabilitation center in Reston, Virginia
Our rehab therapists are here to help you get back on your feet.
At Reston Hospital Center in Fairfax County, Virginia, our physical therapy and rehabilitation experts help you recover mobility, regain motor skills and increase your range of motion so you can get back to the routine you love as fast as possible.
Learn more about our related specialties.
Our physical therapy and rehabilitation services
Our rehabilitation team offers advanced, integrated therapies and services for a variety of diagnoses.
Our rehabilitation centers in Northern Virginia
We are proud to offer one of the most sophisticated inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs in the area. Our physiotherapists and rehabilitation specialists have a successful record of helping patients of all abilities recover, regain skills and improve quality of life as quickly as possible.
For more information about our center's rehabilitation services, or for help finding a doctor, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse line at (833) 521-3627.
Our physical rehabilitation services
Our physical rehabilitation centers in Reston offer:
- Advanced care with a personal touch: Because our program is hospital-based, you benefit from a therapy or exercise program tailored to your specific healthcare needs — backed by our full-service hospital.
- Certified therapists working with you: Our therapists are certified in a variety of specialties, including hand therapy and knee physical therapy.
- Convenient location: Inpatient therapy and outpatient therapy services are offered on Reston Hospital Center's main campus, near Reston Town Center.
- Comprehensive rehabilitative care: We offer physical, occupational and speech therapy services, as well as a sports medicine program for sports injury rehabilitation — in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Facilities dedicated to rehabilitative care: Our rehabilitation centers feature advanced equipment to promote a healthy, speedy recovery. For example, our inpatient rehabilitation facility offers a practice staircase and car to help patients get confident in real-life settings.
- Individualized treatment plans: We offer dynamic, customized and one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation and performance enhancement programs.
We use special exams to aid in the treatment of speech and swallowing disorders. If you have already met with our staff and they have recommended a swallow study, please call (703) 689-9310 to schedule the exam.
Our inpatient rehabilitation center
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center was designed to help you recover quickly and safely following a traumatic injury, surgery or medical diagnosis.
This rehabilitation facility is an 18-bed unit located on the third floor of our hospital. All rooms are private, and each is equipped with a walk-in shower, grab bars and adaptive equipment for toileting and grooming, including sinks and toilets that are compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Inpatient rehabilitation begins as soon as possible while you are still in the hospital. We can provide outpatient rehabilitation through Reston Therapy & Fitness Center if additional therapies are necessary after discharge.
For more information about inpatient rehabilitation, please call our admissions team at (703) 949-9650.
Inpatient rehabilitation services
Our inpatient rehabilitation and therapy services include:
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Occupational therapy
- Orthopedic rehabilitation
- Physical therapy
- Pulmonary (lung) rehabilitation
- Speech therapy
If your care leads to neurological rehabilitation, our neurologists consult with our neurological rehabilitation experts to determine the treatment that best fits your needs. Your neurological care plan may involve diagnostic procedures such as a computerized tomography (CT) scans or brain scans.
Neurological rehabilitation helps patients recover functions and independence after a neurological event, such as a stroke, brain surgery or spinal cord injury. Our orthopedic specialists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and neurological care staff work together to create a care plan individualized to your needs.
Our pulmonary rehabilitation program is designed for patients with acute and chronic lung conditions. Our pulmonary therapists, physical therapists and respiratory specialists work with you to improve lung function and focus on your long-term health.
Inpatient rehabilitation admissions
If you believe you may benefit from any of our inpatient rehabilitation programs, please call our admissions team.
One of our staff members will conduct a free evaluation to determine if one or more of our programs is a good fit for your road to recovery.
Rehabilitation at Reston Therapy and Fitness Center
Outpatient services are provided at our Reston Therapy and Fitness Center. Inpatient therapy is offered in our hospital's Inpatient Rehabilitation Center. Our Therapy and Fitness Center offers comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation services, including:
- Medically-supervised exercise
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
To schedule an appointment for outpatient therapy, please call our outpatient rehabilitation team at (703) 689-9250.
Improved fitness and muscle strength are essential to recovering from illnesses and injuries. However, traditional exercise facilities aren't equipped to address the unique health needs of each individual. That is why Reston Therapy and Fitness Center offers medically-supervised fitness.
Through this personalized program, we can help you transition from physical therapy to a home exercise program or your normal gym routine. The medically supervised fitness program can help patients with numerous conditions, such as:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Low back pain
- Multiple sclerosis
Features of our fitness program
Traditional fitness facilities often provide minimal assistance when it comes to helping you create an exercise plan, learning to use equipment and tracking your progress. Our program offers hands-on support to guide your personal journey, and includes features like:
- A fitness program that is specific to your medical conditions and needs
- A medical evaluation, fitness assessment and constant re-evaluations for progress
- One-on-one training for individuals who cannot exercise on their own or for those who would like direct supervision
- Supervision by an exercise physiologist who tracks specific vitals and exercises progression
Outpatient rehabilitation admissions
Outpatient therapy requires a physician referral and takes place at Reston Therapy and Fitness Center. If you are participating in exercise, the referral should state you have medical clearance for exercise.
Outpatient rehabilitation hours
Our Therapy and Fitness Center's hours of operation are:
- Monday through Thursday from 6:30am to 7:30pm
- Friday from 6:30am to 3:00pm
Our occupational therapy (OT) program focuses on improving your daily activities and regaining physical independence. Our occupational therapists assist with helping you relearn skills for daily living, like bathing, toileting and personal hygiene. We can also help determine if assistive devices or adjustments are necessary at home.
Our speech therapists develop a proper, personalized rehabilitation plan unique to your motor, neurological and oral needs. We provide a wide range of therapies to help you achieve the highest possible level of speech and swallowing abilities, including:
- Aphasia — A service that focuses on building reading, writing, speaking, comprehension, word finding and math skills.
- Cognition and memory — A technique that develops strategies for patients to improve their attention, problem-solving and memory skills.
- Facial weakness — A therapy method that emphasizes the movement and coordination of weakened facial muscles to improve the quality of speech.
- Swallowing — A therapy that uses modified barium swallow studies (MBS), also called videofluoroscopy, to analyze a patient’s swallowing biomechanics. Techniques that include swallowing exercises and patient education to identify diet textures, improve swallowing abilities and reduce the risk of aspiration.
- Voice — Therapies that improve an individual’s vocal quality, reduce vocal cord abuse, manage nodules, optimize breathing patterns and increase speaking volume.
HCA sports medicine video tour
Whether you are an elite athlete in training mode or an weekend warrior who needs to get back into fitness, HCA Virginia Sports Medicine has the team and the program you need to get going. Explore our facility in our video tour.
Inpatient rehabilitation patient room tour
Take a look at the private rooms that each patient in our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center will stay in. Equipped with a bed, pull out couch, private ADA compliant bathroom and a flat screen tv, these rooms are spacious and made to make our patients feel right at home.
The Healthy Living Blog
Read our blogs to learn more about physical therapy and rehabilitation and ways you can lead a healthier lifestyle.
Looking for a location?