Apply to experience the many rewards of being a Retreat Doctors Hospital volunteer. Volunteering opportunities include cuddlers in our NICU, nursing assistants in our emergency room and administrative support at our concierge desk.
Volunteering at HCA Virginia
Have you ever considered volunteering your time to help others? Our volunteers play an integral role in the healthcare services we provide to our patients and the community.
The safety and wellbeing of all of our patients, staff and community is extremely important to us. As the number of confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in our region continues to grow, HCA Healthcare Capital Divisions hospitals are implementing new visitor restrictions. With these increased restrictions comes an impact to our volunteers (including high school students).
For the safety and wellbeing of our volunteer community, we are suspending our volunteer services, effective immediately. We believe it is in their best interest to stay out of our facilities at this time. Chaplains are the only exception and will continue to be allowed to visit our facilities. While we realize this may be an inconvenience, it is important that we do what we can to ensure that our volunteers remain healthy and safe. We understand that this issue is rapidly evolving, and we will keep you updated as we learn more. Your health and safety is of the utmost importance. We are continuing our steadfast focus on maximum preparedness to ensure we are taking all necessary steps to protect our patients, colleagues, physicians, volunteers, and community.
HCA Virginia consists of three community hospitals – Henrico (Forest), Parham and Retreat Doctors’ Hospitals – and two freestanding emergency departments, West Creek Emergency Center and Hanover Emergency Center. Volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team and make a lasting difference in our patients' experiences. Our volunteers have a rich history of providing exceptional services and support to our patients, hospital and community. Here are a few examples of volunteer opportunities offered at our campuses:
Information Desks and Waiting Rooms:
- Information Desks – Welcome and greet visitors as they arrive to Henrico Doctors’ campuses, assist with escorting visitors and patients, provide wheelchair transport for discharges as needed, provide general information about the facility, provide patient room information for visitors, and assist with patient deliveries
- Surgery Waiting Room – Serve as a liaison between family members and hospital staff for patients in surgery; check in patients as they arrive and provide appropriate forms; establish a pleasant, caring atmosphere for family and visitors; provide visitors with information on the facility.
- ICU Waiting Room – Serve as a liaison between family members, hospital staff and patients who are in ICU; establish a pleasant, caring atmosphere for family and visitors; provide visitors with information on the facility; assist waiting family members.
Nursing unit areas
- Medical Care Unit (2 South)
- Mother Baby Unit
- OB/GYN Specialty Care Unit (4 West)
- Labor & Delivery
- Cardiac ICU and Surgical ICU
- Clerical Support – Provide clerical assistance to assigned departments. Duties may include filing, copying, answering phones, supporting department projects, and basic computer entry. See Volunteer Services for a list of departments needing clerical support.
- Mammography/Breast Center – Females Only – Greet patients to help with check-in process, maintain clean dressing rooms and waiting rooms, act as a liaison between staff and patients, clerical work and other duties as assigned.
- Concierge Services – Deliver flowers, mail, or newspapers as they come in. Be able to greet patients and visitors as you enter rooms and help provide any information about the hospital
The volunteer requirements are as follows:
- Accept applications for adult volunteers year round.
- Henrico Doctors’ asks for a minimum commitment of one year of service at four hours per week for Adult Volunteers.
- Junior Volunteers: Accept applications for high school students during the open application period in late spring (March 30 – May 1) for the Summer Junior Volunteer Program, which is from June through August. Teens may have the option of continuing through the school year.
- All volunteers must provide documentation of required immunizations prior to their first day of volunteering. Immunizations must be listed on an official immunization record and/or documented by a licensed healthcare professional. If no record(s) exist, antibody titer testing, a blood draw used to measure immunity, can be performed at your physician’s office, or at OHS with manager approval.
- All volunteers are required to pass a background check.
- All volunteers must attend volunteer orientation or complete the modules and test online.
- Volunteers are subject to annual education requirements and must practice and follow all confidentiality and facility policies and procedures
Volunteer application process
Volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team. Whether you are volunteering to give back to your community, to explore healthcare careers, or to utilize your skills in a new environment, you will be enriched by the difference you make and the lives you touch. Your role as a volunteer will help to support and enhance the exceptional care given by our professionals. We are looking for the best volunteers around; however, we do not consider short-term volunteer request, court mandated, and/or community service hours. We want our volunteers to enjoy their time at our campus; therefore, require at least 100 hours per year or a six-month commitment.
Take a few moments to review our various volunteer programs detailed on the HCA Virginia volunteer website. Once your application is received, Volunteer Services staff will contact you to set up an interview. All applicants must then complete required health and safety screenings.
Adult Volunteer Application Form
Junior Volunteer Application Form
For more information on volunteering at any of our campuses, please email the volunteer office.