Gastroenterology care in Downtown Richmond
When you're dealing with digestive issues, our gastroenterologists are here to help.
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, a campus of Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, serves as a center for gastric and pelvic floor care. Our gastrointestinal (GI) specialists help you get relief from the pain and discomfort of digestive health conditions.
GI conditions we treat
We offer comprehensive prevention, detection and treatment of disorders of the colon, rectum and anus, as well as diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor dysfunctions. Some conditions we manage include:
- Colorectal cancer
- Colon polyps
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Fecal incontinence
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
Our gastroenterology services
We use advanced technology, new therapies and breakthrough techniques to deliver innovative GI care.
We provide advanced diagnostic GI testing, including:
- 24-hour pH monitoring — measures the pH in your esophagus to determine if you have GERD
- 3D imaging of rectum — identifies whether cancer is present
- Anal manometry — rectal sensation testing to evaluate patients with constipation or fecal incontinence
- Bernstein acid perfusion study — measures esophageal function by reproducing the symptoms of heartburn
- Defecography — identifies disorders of the lower bowel not detected by colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy
- Electromyography — evaluates electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles
- Esophageal motility study — evaluates the function of your esophagus
- Pelvic floor retraining — strengthens pelvic floor muscles
- Pudendal nerve study — evaluates the nerve to the anal sphincter muscles
- Urodynamics — assesses how well the bladder and urethra are storing and releasing urine
We provide you with the latest technology and surgical treatment options for GI conditions. We were the first hospital to offer the artificial bowel sphincter, stapled transanal rectal resection and sacral nerve stimulator procedures for fecal incontinence. We are also proud to offer minimally invasive, laparoscopic colon resections that use smaller incisions, resulting in a faster recovery.
To ensure you are as comfortable as possible before, during and after treatment, we also feature:
- A colon and rectal program nurse navigator who provides support and education to patients before, during and after surgery
- Breakthrough sedation techniques for colonoscopies
- A post-surgical unit with a tranquil atmosphere to foster relaxation and healing
- An outpatient ostomy clinic to improve your quality of life
GERD and acid reflux disease with Dr. Clifford Smith
Acid reflux disease is a chronic disease that can be debilitating if left untreated. Retreat Doctors' Hospitals' Dr. Clifford Smith explains why it’s important to seek medical help if you are experiencing symptoms of acid reflux, such as trouble swallowing or a burning taste while eating.
Looking for a location?
Our Gastroenterology Locations