Wound care involves medical intervention to heal a wound after injury. Specialized treatment is provided for wounds that are non-healing or refuse to heal on their own. To promote healing, learning how to properly dress and care for wounds is vital.
Wound care center in Roanoke, Virginia
Our wound care specialists are here to help you heal.
At LewisGale Medical Center, our specialists are trained to provide effective, compassionate treatment for a variety of wounds. Whether you have a sudden or chronic wound, we offer specialized services and therapies tailored to you.
Conditions that cause nonhealing wounds
No two wounds are the same. Nonhealing wounds can be the result of a variety of conditions, and we make sure to treat yours like the unique one that it is. These wounds can be caused by:
- Bone or soft tissue infection
- Crush injuries
- Metabolic disorders
- Pressure ulcers
- Radiation injury
- Thermal burns
- Vascular disease
Our wound treatments and services
Our specialists have experience treating a diverse array of wounds. We also offer specialized treatments for recurring wounds.
Our wound-healing technology
When you come to us for your wound care, you are treated by a multidisciplinary team that, depending on your unique condition, may include endocrinologists, rehabilitation specialists and diabetic counselors.
In addition to extensive wound debridement techniques, we offer Southwest Virginia residents access to the most advanced technology for treating recurring wounds, including:
- Advanced dressing regimens — Our wound healing specialists use advanced technologies, such as the negative pressure device, biological skin substitutes and multilayer compression wraps.
- Arteriography — This is imaging procedure generates an X-ray of the blood vessels using a safe contrast agent (dye). The results give your doctor a better view of your arteries and blood vessels.
- Doppler technology and transcutaneous oxygen monitoring — These technologies help physicians assess both the circulation and amount of oxygen available to surrounding tissue.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) — HBOT treatment combines an oxygen-enriched atmosphere with high pressure to increase the oxygen in the blood plasma.
In addition to advanced technology, we also offer wound care digital photography, an imaging service that enables our care team to conduct a complete medical evaluation.
Visiting our advanced wound center
Read on for information about making appointments, hours of operation and parking.
Wound clinic appointments
Depending on your insurance plan, a referral from a primary care physician may be required to make an appointment. If a referral is not required, you can schedule an appointment by calling (540) 776-4446.
After your referral, you will be scheduled for an evaluation. From initial assessment and throughout your treatment, periodic progress reports will be sent to your referring physician.
Visiting our wound care clinic
We are an outpatient center open Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 4:00pm and closed daily for lunch from noon to 1:00pm. We are located on the first floor of LewisGale Medical Center and can be accessed through the main entrance.
Valet parking is complimentary. You can also self-park for free in the parking lot or garage. Once you register with the admissions desk at the main entrance, you will be directed to the wound center. We recommend that you arrive 30 minutes early to allow enough time for registration. Please bring insurance information, photo identification and a list of any medications you take.
Looking for a location?